The parish of Holy Trinity was formed in 1867 from parts of Holdenhurst civil parish and St Peter's ecclesiastical Parish. The church was built in 1869 from designs by Charles Fergusson of Carlisle. It was a cruciform building of diapered red brick in the Lombardo-Gothic style consisting of an apsidal chancel with small aisles (the northern one containing the organ chamber and vestry), clerestoried nave of five bays, aisles and a tower of brick containing a clock and five bells chiming the hours and quarters. The stained glass east window was a memorial to Robert Kerley - the donor of the site of the church. The pulpit of alabaster and coloured marbles was erected by the congregation in memory of Captain Maxwell Falcon, RN, in 1872. There was seating for 1,000 people (350 being free of pew rent). Holy Trinity was one of Bournemouth's early churches, in some ways a counterblast to the Tractarian churches, yet in an Italiate style using red and blue bricks that had to be imported by road (the railways had not reached Bournemouth at this stage) making it a startlingly promient edifice. Despite being a flourishing church, the Diocese of Winchester - keen to reduce clergy numbers - forced its closure. It was used for "Mediaeval Banquets" until a fire (widely believed to be arson) gutted most of the church, which was then demolished. The tower stood for a little longer as debate ensued about its possible incorporation in a subsequent structure but the idea was soon abandoned and it, too, was demolished. Thus one of Bournemouth's most important buildings was wantonly destroyed.